Are you the president of your parent teacher association? Maybe you're a room parent or simply a volunteer on a small basis. Either way, if you've ended up on a committee that is planning the end-of-the-year party for your middle school, you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed. Thank goodness for committees, right? At least you don't have to do this huge project by yourself. When you go to your planning meeting, here are some ideas that you can take with you.
The Focus - Fun and food! That's really what middle schoolers want. And, for those who are graduating from middle school and moving onto high school, they're also wanting last minute memories of their middle school years. Rather than having class parties like most elementary schools have, a big bash where all the kids in middle school can celebrate together is a great idea.
The Fun - Think of what makes a carnival special, and you'll probably say that it's the many choices that are offered. Copy that same principle for your end-of-the-year celebration. Have several different games to play. A few ideas to consider are:
- Dunk The Leader - Can you imagine the fun it would be for kids to get to hit a trap that makes the school principal, vice-principal, a teacher or another faculty member fall into a large tub of water? It's all in jest!
- Go Fish - Just like the activity the kids did when they were little ones, including cheap toys and candies.
- Tug-o-War - Boys against the girls? Kids against the teachers? Whatever you choose, kids love the action and the competition.
- Dig for Gold - Set up a huge sand pile that contains coins and let the kids dig for it. A bit messy, so be glad you're outside.
The Food - Good and plenty! Again, stations would be a great way to satisfy the appetites of your middle school kids.
- You know how much the kids like to go to a beverage station when they go to fast food restaurants? You can recreate that fun right at your celebration. Contract with a company that will set up a fountain soft drink center and will take it down for you afterwards. They'll also set up the beverage control system that dispenses the exact portions of assorted sodas and that provides beverage-grade carbon dioxide automatically. After all, who likes flat tasting soda pop? Contact a company like Arizona Air Boutique Inc. to find out more information.
- Snow cones would be great, too. Snow cone systems are not expensive and can be used at other functions again and again.
- Popcorn is another good choice. It's cheap and goes a long way. Again, your association may want to just buy a commercial grade popcorn machine that can be used later.
- A cake walk would not only be a great way to entertain the kids, but they'd get cake, too.
Have a meeting after your celebration so you can evaluate this year's event. That way you can make necessary changes for next year's end-of-the-year party.